Footpath walk United Downs - Cusvey - Wheal Maid - United Downs.
4 miles approx. 1 hour 15 minutes.
A winter stroll on good stone surfaces with very little mud. Almost carpet slippers standard!
- (1). Leave your car in the lay-by on the Mount Wellington road, adjacent to the County Council woodland.(approx. 300 metres from the junction at United Industrial Estates, on the left hand side)
- (2). Head up the road from the lay-by towards Mount Wellington. After 40 metres, on the bend, bear RIGHT up the track marked 'Public Byway'. LEFT at the crosslanes down towards the road, STRAIGHT ACROSS down the lnae marked 'Cusvey', bearing RIGHT and then immediately LEFT down a narrow stony path marked 'Twelveheads'.
- (3). LEFT where this path meets a wider track, past Arley Cottage, then LEFT onto the path marked "The Cornish Way, Public Bridleway". Continue under the bridge (note the setts of granite that the railway used to travel on) and continue past the 'Private' sign, keeping to the path right through the Wheal Maid Valley. The tailings dams on your right are currently being examined by the Environment Agency to reduce levels of contamination.
- (4). At the metal barrier, STRAIGHT ON across the busy road, taking the new path towards Carharrack. LEFT where the path meets the road under the fir trees, walking on the road past Primrose Cottage (Bensons very comfortable B&B) and at the next junction, STRAIGHT ACROSS the road into the lane signed "Coogee" and "The Pines".
- (5). 10 metres past the second bungalow (Coogee), turn LEFT up a narrow path. At the end of this short path you will be at the bottom of the Industrial Estate. Walk up through to the main entrance, LEFT, then RIGHT back up the Mount Wellington road to where you started.